Sunday, May 4, 2008

The bite of the climbing bug

In 2005, rather than climbing Kinabalu by way of the ‘tourists trail’ only, I was suggesting to Boying to climb the mountain with-a-twist. Apart from the usual regular route of climbing towards Low’s Peak, I was thinking also of climbing Kinabalu by its Bowen’s Route and bagging King George, King Edward, , and Mesilau Peaks, respectively.


I was updating my Kinabalu trip planner when another ‘twist’ on the climb appeared on my search engine - the Via Ferrata on Mount Kinabalu. This twist was not offered in 2005 then; it was formally offered to public December of 2007 only. As opposed to the Bowen’s Route, where climbers can only climb lesser peaks by this route, the Via Ferrata offers climbers a different route on the way down from Low’s Peak (the highest pinnacle) towards Laban Rata. I have inquired with the outfitter with regards to their package of climbing Low’s Peak and descending by way of the via ferrata, or what they call The Low’s Peak Circuit.

No comments: